Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Initial Test Results and derivative happenings

My cousin, Sam's, initial test upgrades are beginning to come in.  First, two of his
Maguire Clan DNA signature STP's (single nucleotide polymorphism) have been
received and as expected he is L513 and L69 positive along with the rest of the
Airghialla Mag Uidhir (Maguire) Group.  Brad McGuire, working with Thomas
Krahn and Mike Walsh and others have come up with about five Maguire SNP's
that allow them to predict, very reliably, how different members will show positive
results on certain STP's.  His SNP P66 result is expected by this Friday and it is
expected to be P66+ along with that of Jim McKown and I.  Brad also believes
that there are three STR's (single tandem repeats) that my predict which others with
Maguire DNA would likely be P66+.

I also want to welcome some new associates who are now following this blog.  I
suggest to them that if they scroll all the way to the bottom of the current posting,
they will be able to track all the way back to the beginning of the first posting to
this blog.  It has been a very rewarding trip so far for me.  Cousin Sam and I are
descended from our great great grandfather, Lawrence McCown, via his two first
born sons, William and Eli and I am told that this means we are second cousins.
As you might expect, we match exactly on the first 66 of 67 markers and when his
upgrade to 111 marker results come in sometime this month, I expect them to be
very close to mine at that level as well.

If you are considering having your paternal line tested, you will have to have a male
relative in the line you are tracing take the test if you are not that male yourself.
Family Tree DNA.com  has been running a special on these and other tests and
they can furnish valuable discounts.  It was through this means that I discovered
Cousin Sam and also discovered that rather than being of Scottish descent, I am in
fact of Ulster Irish Heritage---most likely County Fermanagh but possibly Tyrone
or Donegal because all three have evidence of McCown (Mac Owen, McCowen or
McKown) residents of Maguire descent. 

No comments: